Medvantx Recognizes World Diabetes Day

Medvantx Recognizes World Diabetes Day

World Diabetes Day is a time to reflect on and raise awareness about a chronic condition that affects millions of people around the globe. Held annually on November 14, to coincide with the birthday of Sir Frederick Banting (co-discovered insulin along with Charles Best in 1922), World Diabetes Day is a global occasion for everyone affected by this disease. This year’s theme is Access to Diabetes Care, something that Medvantx Inc. strives to provide to our patients daily, with over 47,000 prescriptions for Diabetes medications or diabetic related durable medical equipment (DME) shipped to our patients in 2022 so far.

What is Diabetes?

Diabetes is a chronic disease where a patient either doesn’t make enough insulin, or their body doesn’t use it as efficiently as it should. Insulin is a hormone that controls blood sugar. Without enough insulin, blood sugar may build up in the blood stream, which can eventually cause more serious health problems. There are two main types of diabetes:

• Type 1 diabetes is caused by an autoimmune response that stops the body’s production of insulin. People with Type 1 diabetes need daily insulin injections to survive.
• Type 2 diabetes is far more common than type 2 and develops slowly over time. Type 2 diabetes can be prevented or delayed through healthy lifestyle changes such as eating well and losing weight.

Diabetes by the Numbers

Unlike certain rare conditions, diabetes is common worldwide.

Here are some of the current statistics about just how common diabetes is worldwide:
• 1 in 10 people around the globe have diabetes
• 537 million people are currently living with diabetes worldwide. This figure could rise to 700 million within the next 25 years
• 4 in 5 people with diabetes live in low- and middle-income countries
• 1 in 2 people who need insulin cannot afford or access it
• 6.7 million adults are estimated to have died due to diabetes or its complications in 2021
• Almost half of all people living with diabetes are undiagnosed

Medvantx Supplies Crucial Diabetes Medications

As a leading, non-commercial dispensing pharmacy, Medvantx aims to remove barriers in access to diabetes medications, currently dispensing around 5,000 diabetes medication prescriptions each month. Of those prescriptions, 52% are refills for return customers, while the other 48% are for new prescriptions.

Currently, Medvantx partners with two clients: one for prescription medications and another for diabetic related durable medical equipment (DME). Through these partnerships, Medvantx dispenses four medications for diabetes, and numerous DME products including insulin pumps, insulin pens, lancets, test strips, sensors and more. Our average turnaround time for fulfilling prescriptions and DME products is one day. Through continued effort, we work to achieve this year’s World Diabetes Day theme: Access to Diabetes Care.